“The world is speeding up, and we need to slow down.” Guru Singh
Life in today’s world can feel like an out of control tilt-a-whirl. Have you noticed that the velocity of life is intensifying, getting faster, louder, and more chaotic? Information overload is swirling so fast that I am pressed flat against a tilt-a-whirl, and it’s hard to lift my head. Maybe you can relate!
Sometimes I just want to jump off the ride and wait for life to slow down and smooth out. But that’s not going to happen. What is needed a way to ride today’s wild ride and still nurture peace, sanity and compassion. This is the modern life’s conundrum. I think I found my answer.
Life doesn’t have to slow down, I do!
“Be still.” Psalm 46:10 Stillness is a rare commodity which our society no longer encourages. Despite its rarity, it’s the only state of mind that has the answers for today’s challenges. Stillness is where magic happens.
The faster the times, the faster the mind For centuries, we had a built-in day of stillness. Society supported reflection and the inner journey. I am old enough to remember when every store closed nightly at 6pm, TV stations went off-air at midnight, and on Sundays businesses and restaurants closed shop.
These days, with 24-hour access and stimuli around every corner, stillness is no longer built into our lives, and most people have not experienced its value. I imagine that the majority of today’s population has never experienced this stillness state of mind.
What happens within when we become still? In stillness, we elevate from the fight or flight, high beta/gamma brainwave reactivity, into the spacious calm of theta waves. Health and happiness in today’s accelerated, overstimulated, hostile world requires us to find our way into stillness.
The productive kind of stillness I’m talking about cannot be understood through the intellect. It can only be understood through experience. In stillness…
- The outer mind and ego are bypassed
- Your parasympathetic nervous system calms anxiety and depression
- Your focus shifts from outer world stimulus to inner discovery
- Time slows down and you see your role and gain clarity in the actions to take to move forward in a more holistic way
- Your brainwaves slow to theta and you access to a power and potential greater than your own
- You experience your inner truth and oneness with the God of your understanding
- You can rewrite your subconscious script
- Connected to the Infinite, we ride life’s most extreme ups and downs while rooted, calm, and non-reactive.
Stillness as a daily practice Since the world no longer supports stillness, you’ve got to discover an entry into stillness that you can stick with and practice daily. I can say with confidence that it takes commitment but that commitment and practice has the dividends of health and happiness. That commitment supports you becoming the person you really want to be.
There are so many ways to get to stillness, and that’s the fun thing about it – it’s easy to find your way there. Here are some ways that I access the Infinite, go beyond of time and space, and discover answers for my life:
- Prayer and meditation
- 12-Step Groups
- The One Command® – a simple and effective way to enter into theta to calm the mind
- Kundalini Yoga – a system of postures, chants and meditations used to calm the nerves, support glandular and brain health, and connect you to your inner Self
- Thought Field Therapy – TFT offers a way to tap away stress through the acupuncture system
- One-on-one sessions – learn techniques for healing, stillness, and peace you can take home with you
And Retreats. This one belongs in a separate category for it does so much. Away from your daily stimulus overload, you can experience higher states of stillness and Oneness through participating in the collective consciousness of the group itself. When two or more are gathered with one focus, and for the highest good, you create a new reality.
Let me know your favorite way to stillness. If you haven’t found it yet, we can talk about that too.
Calendar of Events
- September 22 – Get Certified in Thought Field Therapy, at RCH
- September 30-October 1 – Peak Experiences Retreat, Big Bear – refresh, explore, get more of who you are out into your life
- October 11 – Move to Whidbey Island
- October 18 – November 28 – Seeing Clients online or by phone
- December 1 – December 12 – Seeing Clients in Redlands Office, Teaching Kundalini Classes
- April 5 – 9, 2018 – Peak Retreat, Whidbey Island, Wa, MARK YOUR CALENDARS FOR THIS ONE. information coming soon